Sunday, March 10, 2013

You Can't Serve Two Masters...Unfortunately

The past two weeks were the best two weeks that I've had in a long time. His smile, his scent, the look in his eye...consumed me. Someone wasn't just dating me because of my social status, or my father's wealth, or because they just wanted sex from me....no, this was different, this made me happy, something I had not truly felt since my mom was alive. I didn't think about Owen at all for two weeks...from the moment I woke up till the moment I fell asleep, the only person on my mind was Dallas. We had the place to ourselves of course, and we took advantage of it. Yeah there was sex...a lot of sex, but it wasn't just about that, for the first time in a very long time I did what I wanted to...I didn't worry about anyone else but myself, I didn't slave over my phone calling and texting my brother every five minutes until he answered, I didn't go to bed at night wondering if he'd be there when I woke up. Those chains had broken, and I felt more alive than ever. If I could live like this for the rest of my life, I would be more than okay with that...falling asleep in the arms I longed for since I moved to Tulsa, it was better than I had ever imagined it. During the day I had school, and Dallas...well he did whatever Dallas does, eventually it led to job hunting. I got home one afternoon before Dal had made it back so I decided to get my homework done. I finished faster than I had expected and decided to flip through the pages of a book and 'read'. Contemplate---- I was dating Dallas Winston, something I had so hoped for and also feared, and it was the best decision I had ever made, or really unintentionally made. I didn't think or worry about Owen, I enjoyed life and I embraced it fully. After contemplating life, I did something I had never done before, I actually read the book I held in my hands, because I didn't need daydreaming, life was finally better than my dreams.
"Whatcha readin?" I looked up to find those handsome brown eyes staring back at me.
I wasn't even sure. I flipped the book over, "'Pride & Prejudice' apparently." I said, tossing the book on the floor. "What do you wanna do for dinner?" I asked.
"Let's go out!" He said, with that smile I couldn't resist.
"Where?"
"You'll see....put on something nice okay?" He left to go back to his apartment to change and grab a few things.
I searched my closet, and it seemed that nothing on the hangers was good enough. I must have looked over everything a dozen times. And then I found it, hiding in the back of my closet. It was the dress my mom loved to see me in, it had always been her favorite, and sometimes I'd put it on just to see her happy. It was simple, but made such a statement with its pure white color, short and flow-y, with simple pleating at the top, that just came to the edge of my shoulders.
"Who woulda thought Dallas Winston cleans up nice?" I said, teasing.
"Yeah yeah." he said leading me into the quite fancy restaurant.
"How are you affording this?" I whispered.
"Don't worry about it." He said, sealing my lips with a soft kiss.
"Ya know, I have my dad's money," I said, flipping the credit card between my fingers, "Lord knows he won't miss it."
He laughed, "No, that's not how it's supposed to work."

After dinner we went back to my house and ended up drinking and dancing wildly through the house with the radio so loud I'm sure the neighbors were complaining. Dallas took a shower while I picked up the beer cans and bottles from the living room floor, then decided a hot shower sounded really nice, so I pulled the curtain back and snuck in behind him, wrapping my arms around his waist and kissing his shoulder.
"Thanks for dinner." I said, "it was nice."
He turned and faced me, "Good." he replied "I wanted it to be."
After that we had a little rendezvous before falling asleep.

I awoke to the sound of my phone vibrating on the nightstand beside my bed. It must have been going off a while, because it took more than once for that to wake me up. I blinked my eyes at the fuzzy numbers that read 3:27 A.M.
"Hello?" I said groggily.
"Rhyan!! I know where Owen is...he's in trouble!" Hunter's voice rang in my head as he explained the situation to me.
"I'll be there in five minutes." I said.
I suddenly was fully awake and rummaging through my drawers for a pair of jeans and a hoodie.
"What are you doing?" Dallas sleepily rubbed his eyes and fidgeted with the lamp until it flickered on.
"Hunter just called me...Owen's in trouble." I said while tying my shoelaces.
"I'll come with you." In an instant he was out of bed and starting to put his jeans on.
"No! I need to do this alone." I grabbed my keys and my phone and headed downstairs.
"Baby just let me come with you." He was right behind me.
I was already out the front door and opening the door to my car, "No Dal, I just need to do this by myself, Owen needs me right now." I didn't mean to raise my voice, but I was scared and in a hurry.
"What the hell am I supposed to do then?" He said.
The words left my mouth before I even processed them through my brain. "Dal I can't do this right now, I don't have time for you and Owen, and he needs me, its never been this bad before." I informed.
"What are you saying?" His attitude shifted.
I was starting to yell, "I'm saying I can't be with you and take care of my brother at the same time, I don't have that kind of energy. Owen needs me right now."
"What if I need you?" he said.
Then it processed, everything I had just said....was I really about the end the best thing that had ever happened to me?
"Owens my brother Dal.." I argued.
"Yeah well hes never gonna learn if you keep bowing at his feet Rhy." He shouted.
I shook my head. "I have to go!" I climbed into my car and edged out of the driveway. He was shouting so loud I could hear through the windows.
"Ya know, you should really try letting someone take care of you for a change."
I looked at his face just before speeding off. I hated that look, and I knew as soon as I saw it what I had done, I had hurt him. And he was right...what was I doing? My greatest want..no, my greatest need had always been for someone to take care of me for a change....and I just left it standing in my drive way. Once again I could see the shackles wrapping around my wrists pulling me back into the shadows of my master....Owen. 
          

2 comments:

  1. Oh Rhyan, I'm so sorry. I love you so much! I'm here for you... even though I am a horrendous failure and excuse for a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't help someone that doesn't want to be saved. If Owen wants to throw his life away, then he's going to even if you die trying to help him. I know its hard accepting that someone you love is okay with hurting themselves, but sometimes you have to be selfish and think of yourself for a change

    ReplyDelete